Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sucker hole....

In cycling, a well known atmospheric phenomena that produces a "nirvana-eque" blue sky and sun...until the furthest point in the cyclist's journey, at which time the "hole" closes up, and torential downpour ensues....yep..that sums up my day...70KM in - ya'd think I woulda gotten a clue with the typhoon type winds. Everyone else is walking their bikes across the river bridges, oh..but not Ren..no..let's build those triceps the HARD way...





See, you go from what looks to be a sunny day to wondering where the mountains disappeared to, and why suddenly you are having as much trouble controlling your bike as Hincapie in the Roubaix this year...anyway... his was a steerer tube..mine was 27mph winds

And when its time to come off the bridge? ahh..you take the stairs...with a little ramp down the center for your bike...:)

Japan also has another phenomenom that I have found...even with a map, "lost" is a constant. I am fairly certain that the rain washes away route #s. Riding along, following the map...suddenly *poof* numbers are gone..no where to be found. and the way I thought I came? pointless. all the streets and the buildings look the same.

I did get lost again today...no Hakone thanks to the rain. But I was able to see some amazing areas....I even saw the hills...again, a clue should have been the forboding darkness that over took the hills...I thought it was smog..on a Saturday. Wow, even writing that admission is painful.

So..Photos are of various locations along the ride. It really is like El Camino or Peachtree Industrial..even at 50K, (about 31 miles), I am still going between the sidewalk and traffic.

The sidewalk is more dangerous than the street for me...I was overtaken by a GANG of 8-10 yr old boys...it felt like 50 (I think it was 12), who didn't move as I tried to pass them on the sidewalk..the wall kept me upright as I rammed into it...and tore my Saturn thermal. :(

152Km today...little ego in that one..I had told someone I would make 200 today. oops.


And finally...along the way, a little reminder of my buddy Finn. Don't have many Jack Russell's here, but Corgy's and Dachsunds abound.

No comments: