Saturday, December 06, 2008

Oh...here I am again...







after almost 3 years...I am starting this thing back up again..Why? well - A few days ago, Tif said - "I wish you would start writing" - I laughed it off - but then I rode my bike today, and it all made sense again.

A few days ago, I bought a single speed...not because they are the "in thing", but because I am trying to move as far away as possible from Road racing. anyway - destiny was in my favor, and Lauren was selling hers. Off I went to pick it up.

This morning, I finally got to ride it. yep - I took it to the most perfect place for a 40 yr old body to take a Single Speed - Arastredero and easy hills. At 7:30, I rolled into the parking lot - frost covering the wooden fences. Geese, flying in formation reminded me where the idea of drafting came from. So I bundled up, hopped on my new trusty steed - and headed out.

As adults, right now, there are so many things going on in the world that take us away from being children. I firmly believe that most of us ride our bike (or at least started again) because of that inherent attachment to childhood - cruising down the street or the hill - not a care in the world -just having a great time. no fear of falling - no fear that tomorrow the recession will over take us..no fear that tomorrow - a constitutional amendment will be enacted to discriminate against us. We want that feeling - we want the escape..and while I often lose myself in my ride - today I was truly taken back to what cycling as a kid was all about.

There were no gears on my first BMX bike - I had a pair of Oakley handlebar grips..yeah - I really did. a red Raleigh Rampar Bike, Kusuki Gooseneck...lord knows what handlebars. Dont' even know what cranks, wheels, or pedals I had. how funny is that? - these days, I read the fine print about everything - Shimano XTR, or SRAM XO? Dura Ace or Red? what wheels? blah blah blah.. Today I remembered what it was like just to go out and ride...instinctually at times my thumb did try to shift - but in general - I just enjoyed being out there with nothing to worry about.

Ah..winter mtn biking...sunny warmth..freezing shade...the things that make childhood come back so quickly - and give me so much to write about... :)

its good to be doing this again.

No comments: