Sunday, December 14, 2008

Age...




Age is an interesting thing...as Children we do everything we can to get older - as adults we do everything we can to stop the process. its a funny thing to watch with Mia - she ages daily - both in years and in wisdom. Pretty amazing child.

My BODY on the other hand, is not aging so gracefully. one day, Mia wanted to count "menay's boo boos.." all but one scar (well two if you count the one where my brother hit me with a golf club) are all from cycling. Bones drilled, plates screwed in..whatever - when I get a boo boo I make sure its a good one.

I have been fortunate that my knees have always held out. Not really sure why or how they have, but they have - until now. They suddenly have decided to show me that I am in fact getting older. This fascination I have with riding my bikes in less than perfect conditions - hopping off, running and jumping over barriers - not exactly what some might call -oh...smart. but I love it - its intrinsic to my happiness - but not to my knees and their happiness.

This morning as I get ready for my next 'Cross race - my pack regimen made me sit down and write...
helmet - Check
arm warmers - Check
Kit - check
Knee warmers - check
advil - Check
Glucosamine- Check
Naproxin - Check

and I tuck everyting into my mouse back and go about my day. Yes - I am sure I will pay for much of what I have done to my body as I get older. ...older than today. Yet another good reason for marriage - I have someone to help me around the house - and I think she knows it.

Growing old gracefully was not something I ever thought seriously about. Oh- I will do the best I can, but I am going to blow it out on my way there.

..now I gotta go race my bike...

No comments: