Sunday, December 28, 2008

No really...



Today is the first day in several days that I actually felt like raising my head off the pillow. Seems a little unfair that on a 5 day weekend, I spent most of it glued to the sofa. But today, I was determined to get some kind of ride in..I go stir crazy if I don't get on my bike.

I should have known something was up when I went out to grab the Single speed...the low airp ressure in the back tire should have been some indication. Instead, I air up the tire, and decide to leave my floor pump at home - not really sure why I did that. I mean - I drive an Element - its not like I have to be efficient with my use of space - but I chose to do it anyway.

Off I go - I arrive at the Alpine Inn with such high hopes for the completion of my singlespeed ride - I get everything ready, pull the bike out - and there it was..the full on flat. Awesome - now I am 30 minutes from home, no floor pump, and one spare tube. I race through options. See, the trick is I have to be home by noon today. I am actually trying to squeeze a ride in during the "off hours" as I call them - namely the hours when the family is a sleep and I don't risk missing a "honey do" item...

I race through my options - I could try to change the tube - I have a spare in my camel back - but a hand pump.hmmm...a possibility. I dig around in my camel back only to find that I have no tire tools. The day is getting better by the minute. "buck up Ren" I think to myself - go home, change the tube, get an hour's ride in..not the greatest, but its better than nothing.



When I got home, things didn't get any better. Still no tire tools, and the seat bag for my road bike (always have tire tools there) seems to have disappeared. I start to laugh ..you know that laugh..the one of complete disbelief? "No really..." I think to myself "what did I do to deserve this this morning"... I have 7 bikes in my garage - 5 of them rideable today - so what's the problem you ask? if you are a cyclist, you know that there were several signs this morning that I was unprepared. Not having tire tools is a SURE fire way to get a flat on a ride. and as much as I love riding, I have tried to learn from my mistakes over the years. So, here I sit, typing on a keyboard, cleaning my office, trying to find tire tools, knowing the bike shop opens in an hour, but too late for me to get the ride in today.

Guess I will try again tomorrow....

No comments: